What is “sha” [煞]? How can we resolve them in Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui?
In feng shui, sha is referred to the unfavorable conditions against the house. It is definitely not identified as “poison arrows” in many books and web sites by the so-called Western feng shui “masters”!
Basically there are three types of sha in Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui (XKFSFS):
1. The first type are those physical forms (luan tao) that we can see or touch:
For example, corners of the building, electrical towers, electrical post and Rough Mountain etc.
For example, corners of the building, electrical towers, electrical post and Rough Mountain etc.
2. The second type is the sha chi of the 9-stars (li chi) as listed below:
- The 2 earth star [病符星] which will brings illness and epidemic.
- The 3 wood star [嗤犬星]which will brings conflicts and gossips.
- The 5 earth star [廉貞星]which will brings serious misfortune and death.
- The 7 metal star [破軍星] which will brings thefts, robbery and operations.
The sha chi of the above four stars will manifest when they are untimely stars. For example, in Period Eight (2004-2023), the 2, 3, 5, & 7 star are considered untimely stars. The effects of the sha chi is based on its interactions with the other stars, and its magnitude will be determined by whether the energy of the sha chi is strong or weak at the sector. Let us look at the following natal chart as example:
The study of the sha chi of the sitting stars:
1. The 2 earth sitting star is located at the SE sector. The earth chi is destroyed by the 3 wood star and dissipated by the 6 Period star, therefore, its energy is not strong.
2. The 3 wood sitting star is located at the East sector. The wood chi is drained by the 2 facing star and the 5 Period Star, therefore, its affect is weak.
3. The 5 sitting star is located at the North sector. The earth chi is enhanced by the 9 fire facing star, therefor, its energy is strong.
4. The 7 metal star is located at the NE sector. Since it has both the 7 metal sitting and facing located at the same sector, therefore, the metal sha chi is very powerful especially when it is not in Period Seven.
The study pf the sha chi of the facing stars:
1. The 2 earth facing star is located at the East sector. The earth chi is enhanced by the 5 Period star, therefore, its energy is very strong.
2. The 3 wood facing star is located at the SE sector. The wood energy is destroy by the 6 metal star, therefore, its energy is weak.
3. The 5 earth facing star is located at the NW sector. The earth energy is both enhanced by the 9 fire sitting star and the 8 earth Period star, therefore, the energy of its sha chi is very strong.
Having a good idea of the energy level of the sha chi of the above four (4) inauspicious flying stars in the natal chart, it will make it easier for us when we are determining the proper feng shui cure.
3. The third type is the sha which is formed by the combination of the sitting and facing star:
This is basically referring to the sha chi formed by the combination of the above captioned two types of sha and it is very powerful.
This type of sha chi is coming from the directions where the main door and windows of the house because these are the places which are connected to the outside, in other words, where the air and sun light coming into the house (mouth of chi). Therefore, when there are inauspicious luan tao facing the main door or windows of the house, this will become the luan tao sha; and if the flying star combination at the main door and windows is untimely, then the combination of these two sha chi will be very powerful and it will most likely to happen. As there is a saying in the classical Chinese feng shui texts: “the effect of the luan tao will not happen without the supporting li chi, and li chi will not become effective without the corresponding luan tao” - [巒頭無理氣不靈, 理氣無巒頭不驗].
The Principles and Methods to Resolve Sha Chi in Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui
(A) Definitions of form sha [形煞]
Form sha [形煞] basically is referring to the inauspicious exterior luan tao which affects the feng shui of the house. However, this is referring only to those inauspicious luan tao that we can see from the main door and windows of the house. Before we apply the feng shui cure to resolve the luan tao sha chi, we have to first understand its nature and then decide on the appropriate resolving method accordingly. I will list below some important examples of form sha, and the methods to resolve them:
1. Sharp objects sha [尖煞]
This is referring to the scenario that there is sharp or pointed objects facing the main door or windows. For instance, if we look out from the main door, and saw some sharp or pointed corners of a wall, building, or some kinds of art forms that are facing directly at the main door or windows. However, if it is a tall building with triangular roof top, this is not considered as sharp object sha, because the triangular shape is facing upwards instead pointing directly at the main door or windows.
The most popular feng shui cure for sharp object sha [尖煞] is to hang a ba gua mirror and a small stone tablet engraved with these Chinese characters “泰山石敢當” at the affected area facing the sharp object sha. The logic behind this remedy is the sharp objects sha is referred as a sharp arrow in feng shui, therefore we are using the ba gua mirror and the tablet which shaped like a shield to protect the house from the sharp arrow accordingly.
2. Pistol sha [槍煞]
This type of sha is formless. In feng shui, there is a saying that every road/passage way will become a pistol “一條道路一條槍” which is referring to the scenario that there is a straight road or corridor facing directly at the main door. If it happened that the flying star combination is inauspicious, this will cause health issues and accidents to the occupants of the house. On the other hand, if the flying star combination is auspicious, it will instead bring wealth luck as per the classical Chinese feng shui scripts in Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui: [沖起樂官無價寶].
The most common feng shui remedies for pistol sha is to place the stone tablet as mentioned above at the door to counteract the oncoming sha chi from the road for a single house. For the high rise condo unit where the entrance door is facing a long corridor, we can hang a beads curtain on the door or placing a partition inside the house to block the sha chi.
3. Sky-chopping sha [天斬煞]
This type of sha is very common in modern cities. This is referring to when looking out from the window, there is a narrow gap between two tall buildings facing directly at the unit. This sha will cause serious accidents and fatal disease.
The most effective feng shui cure is to hang 6 old Chinese coins on the window facing the sky-chopping sha. If it is very close to the building, we can place a pair of metal Chi Lin on the window sill and installed heavy curtains on the window to counteract its effect.
4. Sickle knife sha [鐮刀煞]
This kind of sha is mostly caused by the flyover in the cities. They are classified into three (3) imaginary shape: “embrace”, “reverse bow” and “straight road”. If the flyover is directly blocking the front of the building, the occupants will suffer from “hidden” disease, ill fortune and facing a lot of pressure at work.
If the flyover is embracing the building, i.e. when standing in front of the window, the occupants can see the curved shape surface of the flyover; and in addition to the fact that this is the facing sector with auspicious flying star combination, this will bring good fortune to the occupants instead.
On the other hand, if the shape of the flyover is look like a “reverse bow”, and in addition to the fact that the flying star combination at the facing sector is inauspicious, this implies the opportunity of serious accidents, conflicts and legal disputes.
The feng shui cure to resolve the sickle knife sha is to hang 6 old Chinese coins and place a pair of metal Chi Lin on the window sill.
How to Resolve the Li Chi Sha form the 9-stars
In Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui, li chi sha is referring to the generating and destroying cycle between the 9-stars which will affects the overall feng shui of the house. The most effective method to solve this problem is to find a medium (feng shui item) to resolve the conflicts and creates the balance between the conflicting elements. The feng shui items that we used are based on the materials, colors and numbers which represents the five elements of the 9-stars.
Below I will used some flying star combinations as examples to illustrate the principles and methods to resolve the li chi sha:
1. [1, 2] combination: 1 represents the 1 white water star, and 2 represents the 2 black earth star. In this scenario, the 1 water star is destroy by the 2 earth illness star. Since the 1 water star is associated with the middle son in the family and kidney and blood of the human body; this implies the middle son in the family will most likely suffered from blood or kidney disease.
The most effective cure is to apply metal element to dissipate the 2 black earth star, forming a generating cycle of earth bears metal, metal carries water. If either the 6 metal star or the 7 metal star is also locate at the same sector, this will also help to dissolve the earth chi of the 2 black earth star. In this case, we can use 6 old Chinese coins as feng shui cure, because the coins are made of copper, the 6 number represents the 6 metal star and the round shape is also represents metal element.
2. [1, 5] combination: this combination indicates the 1 water star is destroyed by the 5 earth star which is associated with poison. If this combination did not get any other stars in the sector to resolve the conflict, most likely the male occupants of the house will suffer from blood or kidney disease. Furthermore, if earth element is not favorable to the ming kua of the occupant, this will cause cancer disease, serious accident causing death and sentence to jail.
The method to resolve this conflicts is to use metal element objects like the 6 old Chinese coins to dissipate the earth chi of the 5 earth star, and avoid earth element objects (in total of 5 numbers) and colors at the sector with this combination.
3. [1, 8] combination: this combination indicates the 8 earth star destroy the 1 water star. This implies ear and kidney problems. We can resolve this conflict by placing a round shaped copper clock at the sector where the [1, 8] combination is located.
4. [1, 9] combination: this indicates the 1 water star destroys the 9 fire star. This can resolve by adding items which represent the 4 wood star, because in the Hetu Numbers, the combination of 4 and 9 conforms to metal, and generates an auspicious cycle of metal carries water and water feeds wood. Since the [1, 4] combination represents scholar luck, we can apply 4 bamboo stems as feng shui cure.
5. [2, 3] combination: this combination is known as “bull fighting sha” in XKFSFS in which the 2 earth star is destroyed by the 3 wood star. The proper feng shui cure is to apply fire element to dissipate the wood chi of the 3 wood star. For example, red carpet or red light. Nonetheless, the fire element will also enhance the 2 earth star which will cause health problems. Therefore, it is necessary to add a round shape fish tank with 6 black fish to counteract the 2 earth star, the reason is round shape represents metal element, the number 6 represents the 6 metal star and dark color represents the 2 earth star. This will creates a generating cycle of earth bears metal and metal carries water.
6. [2, 4] combination: the 2 earth star represents female household, stomach, skin and digestion system of the human body. The 4 wood star represents the eldest daughter. This combination denotes wood parts earth, which will cause stomach disease. The proper feng shui cure is to use a red color carpet to dissipate the wood chi so it will not destroy the earth chi. One thing we have to be careful is if earth element is not favorable to someone birth element under the Four Pillars Destiny or BaZi system, this method of enhancing the earth element is not auspicious to this person.
7. [2, 5] combination: this is the most “deadly” flying star combination in Xuan Kong Flying Star feng shui. This combination will cause serious misfortune, illness and even death. The proper method to resolve this problem is to use metal element objects like the 6 old Chinese coins, copper clock or copper painting to dissolve the powerful earth chi of the 2 and 5 earth star.
8. [3, 8] combination: this combination indicates wood destroys earth. This combination is good for the wellbeing of the small children in the family and conflicts between brothers. We can apply fire element objects or colors to dissipate the wood chi, for examples, red carpet, curtains, lights etc.
9. [3, 6] combination: this combination indicates the scenario of metal chops wood. This will cause accidents to the eldest son in the family, law suits and liver disease. We can apply water element to neutralize the conflict between wood and metal element of this combination. Examples are black color objects like 6 black fish to dissipate the metal chi of the 6 metal star.
10. [6, 7] combination: This is referred as [交劍煞] or “sword fighting sha” in XKFSFS. This indicates the cumulating of too many harmful metal chi from these two metal stars. This will cause robbery, conflicts; head and throat disease. The only effective cure is to apply water element to dissipate the metal chi. Some effective feng shui items are salt water cure or black vinegar and detergent/soap water; because vinegar is acid and detergent/soap water is alkaline which are all associated with the water element.
11. [9, 5] combination: This combination indicates fire creates earth which will enhance the sha chi of the vicious 5 earth star. Simply put, the 9 fire star will hasten the sha chi of the 5 earth star. The effective feng shui cure to resolve this problem is to use 6 old Chinese coins, copper Lo Pan, copper painting or copper clock to dissipate the earth chi of the 5 earth star.
12. [9, 6] combination: This combination denotes fire destroys metal. This will cause serious lung disease to the male household, and un-filial son in the family. The proper solution is to place yellow color or yellow color objects (earth element) to neutralize the conflict between the fire and metal element.